Recognizing the call to be peacemakers, Lutherans for Justice in the Holy Land works for a just peace for Palestinians and Israelis through education, action, and advocacy.
January 22, 2017 ~ Jewish American author Mark Braverman spoke about:
A Confessing Church for Our Time? Bohnhoeffer’s Legacy and the Challenge of Palestine
CLICK HERE to watch the video of his class.
“There’s lots for us to talk about! As the movement for the liberation of Palestinians and Israelis from Apartheid grows, so does the pressure to silence the voices of those who cry out for the oppressed. This comes down particularly hard on Christians, especially Lutherans who stand up for the Palestinians, because of the history of Jewish suffering at the hands of the church.”
Mark focuses on the role of religious beliefs and the function of interfaith relations in the current search for a just peace. He serves as Program Director for Kairos USA, a movement to mobilize American Christians to take a prophetic stance for a just peace in Israel and Palestine.
We cosponsor educational and advocacy events with Christian, Jewish, and other faith and secular partners.
- We sell Palestinian Fair Trade olive oil and products.
- We serve as a resource within the congregation and for others, including congregations of the Oregon Synod (videos and educational materials).
- We participate in non-violent direct action.
- We advocate with our elected officials for peace with justice.
- We visit the Holy Land; we accompany Palestinian Lutheran congregations and ministries.
- We benefit the Lutheran World Federation - Jerusalem Vocational Training Center.
- We build friendships and community by learning, encouraging, and socializing.
For regional events and resources, see local partners Jewish Voice for Peace - Portland Chapter and Americans United for Palestinian Human Rights.
To link nationally with Christian and interfaith study resources, conferences, witness trips, and action campaigns, see Friends of Sabeel–North American, Voice of the Palestinian Christians.
We sell Canaan Fair Trade olive oil and products to support Palestinian farmers and women cooperatives, after worship 2nd Sundays monthly, before holidays, and by arrangement, including tastings and sales at churches and special events.
To reach a group representative, contact the church office 503-284-2331 or firstname.lastname@example.org.