Sunday, April 28:
Adult Forum, 9 -10 am: Friends and Family -- Palestinian Lutherans/Christians Speak
Invite your friends!
Meet Palestinian Lutherans/Christians in a series of five short videos -- Palestine Shorts -- prepared for the ELCA Oregon Synod by Barbara Whitmore and Gary Eppelsheimer. Central members who have spent time on the ground in Palestine/Israel will answer questions.
These shorts are part of a larger ELCA Peace Not Wallseffort to accompany Palestinian Lutheran congregations and institutions in their work and their commitment to live faithfully with political tension and occupation.
Lutherans for Justice in the Holy Land will meet at noon 4/28 to discuss ongoing and future work. Everyone is welcome. Snacks provided to see you through the lunch hour.
At Central Lutheran, we have boldly extended Lutherans’ traditional concern for social service and social justice to one of the most complex, controversial, and intractable international issues – justice and peace in the Holy Land. LJHL advocates for all people of Palestine and Israel in general and fosters unique ties with the congregations, ministries, and institutions of Holy Land Lutherans in particular. We educate and advocate by:
- Participating in peace-and-justice partnerships – local and international, secular and faith-based, political and humanitarian
- Providing speakers, films, book studies, and discussions
- Organizing contacts with legislators through calls, visits, and letters
- Participating in nonviolent direct action – petition drives, demonstrations, and teach-ins
- Distributing timely news and analysis, action alerts, and talking points
- Selling Palestinian Fair Trade olive oil and products to promote the Palestinian economy and benefit the Lutheran World Federation Vocational Training Center
- Learning from, encouraging, and socializing with one another
We sell Canaan Fair Trade olive oil and other products at Central Lutheran following worship every second Sunday of the month. We also sell at special events and fill special orders for pick-up at Central. For more information, or to arrange for LJHL to sell at an event, or to place a special order, please contact Debbie Johnson at 503 282-6719.
Our most recent project has been production of Palestine Shorts, video clips in support of the Oregon Synod/ELCA's Peace Not Walls campaign. If you are interested in learning more about the situation in Palestine/Israel and/or working with us, please contact us through the church office 503 284-2331 or firstname.lastname@example.org.